Saturday, July 31, 2010

Skip Fordyce Harley Davidson Demo Rides

Skip Fordyce hosted demo rides today.  I had a chance to test out a couple of bikes, the VRod and Street Glide.

The VRod, wasn't anything that I'd run out and buy anytime soon.  Our demo route was a mere 16.2 miles through Riverside, Ca and I was so uncomfortable the entire time.  You are stretched out, reaching for the controls at your hands and feet, forming a V with your body - perhaps that's why it is titled VRod.  Oddly enough, my knee suffered the most on the ride.  Although my back was being tested, my aging knee wouldn't last long on that bike. The one thing that I can say about the VRod is I don't think I ever got out of 3rd gear.  Even at 55-60 mph, it never needed shifting into 4th.  This means there would be a lot more motor for those dangerous speeds.

The Street Glide was a dream.  I fell in love with it.  I think that one will be my next bike.  It was comfortable, had a stereo, and rode like it was on air.  The suspension was great, not allowing the rider to feel too much of the bumps in the road.  I do think that it followed the ruts in the street more than my Heritage does, and in some parts of Riverside, there are many.

I wish I had time to ride others, but there wasn't much time as I was in a hurry to get home and take the kids to the water park and Calico Ghost Town.  It would be a busy day for all of us in the Knight household.

2 comments:

  1. Ed - Wait till you get on an Electra Glide. I thougt I wanted a Street Glide until I rented an Electra Glide. Don't know what I would do without that tour pak! Dan D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's the one my wife is going to love. It'll be a while before I can afford one.

    I met a guy the other night who had a Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic with a quick release tour pack. He had to relocate the amplifier to one of the saddle bags and hid the cabling under his seat, but that's the way I'd want to do it. That way I wouldn't have to sport the tour pack when it wasn't needed.


    Talk to you later, Dan.

    ReplyDelete