Saturday, September 10, 2011

Run For the Grizzlies 2011

I had the pleasure of, once again, joining the group for the annual Run For the Grizzlies in Big Bear, Ca today. The event is a poker run that leads the participants around the lake, stopping at various establishments.

The run is a charity ride, as most poker runs tend to be. This one benefits the Moonridge Animal Zoo located in Big Bear. This would also be the second stop, allowing poker run attendees to visit the zoo and peer into the cages of the many animals on display.

The ride starts out at Chad's Place, a tavern of sorts in the area of Big Bear known as the Village. On the premises, one would find many vendors hawking their wares, music, and food.

The first few stops had me thinking I might win something. I had a couple of cards printed with the sign of clubs, a ten and a queen. The second stop, Big Bear Choppers, dealt me the queen. The third stop would deal me a 9 of a suit other than clubs. Still, I'm looking at a straight. I continued getting decent cards, short only a king for a straight.

The final stop, a return to Chad's Place, doused my hopes of winning. It was a best of seven run, my favorite. I had a 9, 10, J, two queens, and an ace. All I needed was an 8 or a king - an open-ended straight, sort of. I felt lucky and reached for the card that caught my attention. This would be it. Nope. It was another jack. If I hadn't already heard that someone already had a jack-high straight, I would have turned in my card for a possible reward.

Although I did not win the poker run, I did have a good time. I enjoyed the company of others, a very good Mexican meal that a friend paid for (thanks, Jose!), and a nice ride.

Along the route, I had come upon a rare site - a group of VW trikes. Among them was also a couple of V8 trikes. Enjoy the pics.


The group

VW Trike

V8 Trike

1 comment:

  1. This is a nice display of mufflers. With these featured exhaust systems one can experience the best performance form his bike. This is unlike with ordinary motorbike exhausts. Your motorbike will never ride the same with such mufflers. Like street bike mufflers, they look unmatched…

    ReplyDelete